May 2, 2015

Book Review: Cruel Summer by James Dawson


Cruel Summer
by James Dawson

Cruel Summer was the first book by James Dawson that I've ever read but it won't be the last.

The story of this book centers around a group of friends that had been estranged for the past year, after the death of one of their group Janey, and decide to spend their summer vacation together in a Spanish Villa. In that seclude place a surprise visit from someone who claims to their secrets will turn their summer into a nightmare.

This book was really great. One of the main narrators, Ryan, has this way of setting the scene like a movie which really drew me in. His way of thinking reminded me a lot of my own and I loved his PoV. Also, this book kind of reminds me of Ten by Gretchen McNeil and And Then There Were None by Agatha Cristie, and pretty much any good old horror movie. There is a group of kids with secrets, a dead body (or more) and mystery all along the way. It was really hard figuring this one out and I have to say I failed but when the reveals started I was shocked that every little things made sense. This story was beautifully put together.

Another aspect that I really enjoyed was that even though there seemed to be a lot of romance all around, it didn't pull away from the main mystery. I hate it when characters seem to ignore everything around them just to lust over someone. Also, the relationships and problems in this books were well built and seemed so real.

All in all, I really enjoyed Cruel Summer and I can't wait to read more by James Dawson in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment