Sep 24, 2012

Wuthering High (Bard Academy #1) by Cara Lockwood

Miranda Tate has no idea that her acting out will lead her to be send to a boarding school in a private island and that Bard Academy is not your ordinary school for delinquents. The are creepy stories about the ghost of a girl haunted the place and Miranda is convinced that her room is her haunting place. Even more weird are the teachers with the odd names and attitudes and a student that seems to think he is Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights.

I loved this book. I have no idea why I waited so long to read it. It has everything I adore: a haunted boarding school, a funny and relatable heroine and a creepy storyline. I loved the way Cara Lockwood brought all the classics to life in this book. Let me tell you now that I am not a big classic reader and I was a bit worried that I wouldn't be able to follow some things in the book but the way Miranda describes everything I found it really eaasy to keep up. I even learned a few things I didn't know.

Miranda was, as I mentioned before, a great MC. She originally seemed a bit spoiled but I soon realised that she wasn't, at least not more spoiled than any normal 16-year-old. She is funny and tries to give everyone a chance, without pre-judging them. She is sweet, curious and brave. I really enjoyed being in her head and watching everything through her eyes. The rest of the crew consists of the friends: Hana, Samir and Blade, my favourite beign Samir, he is hilarious and a big chicken which makes him even more real. Then there are the love interests, yes there's two of them, Ryan Kent and Heathcliff. Let me say that just the fact the Miranda refers to Ryan by his full name only proves that she has idolized him. I am Team Heathcliff all the way. He is incredible, even with all his flaws.

The setting of the school was another thing I loved. The creepy, ghothic buildings and the even creepier woods. Everything was like a horror movie. And then there were the hauntings and the fires and all the mystery behind them. I really enjoyed the way everything seemed to connect and eventually played out.

★★★★★
book 29            book 46             book 10
book 7

5 comments:

  1. I am so glad you enjoyed this novel! I love boarding schools and it being haunted? that sounds great!

    great review!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read this book before but I have heard of it. Glad to see that you enjoyed it. I will have to check it out.
    Book Sniffers Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  3. A haunted academy this sounds like fun and you obviously loved it, normally I would jump to add it to the pile but we know I am working on control!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of this book, but i really like the sound of it. I also enjoy a great storyline and a humorous heroine.....and I haven't read the book but I AM TOTALLY TEAM HEATHCLIFF TOO! LOL ;p I am glad you enjoyed it. Adding to my TBR list!

    Brillant Review! :) (new follower)

    ~ Maida @ Literary Love Affair 

    ReplyDelete
  5. this book is sounds great! i'm rarely read this kind of book. yes, i would love to give this book a chance to read :)
    nice review!

    ReplyDelete